Thursday, December 18, 2008

My super goal-oriented husband has started a new thing. On the back of the pantry door he has posted three charts: 1. Goals for Us as a Couple, 2. Goals for Andrew, 3. Goals for Heather.
There is a column for the goal, be it short or long-term, and then a column labeled "Date Completed." Currently, Andrew's page has eleven goals. He also has written fifteen goals on the Couple page. My page has one.

1. Be more goal-oriented.

I wrote it as a joke at first, but then it became one of those random things that consumes your mind and makes you think too much for the rest of the day. I realized that I used to have lots of goals for myself, things I wanted to do, etc., and I still do, sort of. I just am not as driven as I used to be... before I got married. Maybe it's because Andrew is so goal-oriented and so good at achieving those goals that it makes me feel less-ish. I love that he is that way, and I would never want him to be any different, it's just... I don't know.

It's funny, this whole marriage thing. We've only been married seven months. I love it, I really do, I just am having a hard time getting used to it. More so than I thought I would. It's nothing at all to do with Andrew. He is perfect. It has to do with me coming to grips with the fact that I cannot be as impulsive or independent as I used to be/want to be.

I am lucky, however, to have someone who gives me wings. I just need to get over myself.

No comments: